Saturday, September 5, 2009

Paying it forward :-)















So when one lives out in a foreign country or even holidays in certain places, after a while, the accents and the languages that people talk all seem to get to you..
Then you meet people who share the same likes, dislikes, interests and ACCENTS as you do, and your heart almost feels strangely warmed:-)
This is how I feel whenever Im in the company of SA friends whilst Im away from home. For those of you who have never travelled, you probably think IM CRAZEE(as my students say :-)
But for those of you who have, you will understand exactly what I mean.
I was very greatful when I got introduced to Hennie, a fellow SA. He been living and teaching here for the past 2 years so he knows the ropes. And when you are new to a place such as this, knowing someone who knows the ropes, is such a big help. Hennie really has been wonderful to me. Always willing to go the extra mile and help me, and I always appreciated it right from the very start, I knew deep within, that once Im settled in and a bit more adapted to my surroundings, I had to pay this kind deed forward. I had to be there for someone else who is new, just like the way Hennie did for me. I had to be an angel to someone else. Because beleive you me, when you first arrive here, the person who comes to your rescue and shows you the way things are done, seems like an angel sent specifically to you..
So over the past few days, I had been in contact with another SA lady..She had just arrived here and naturally feeling lonely and homesick and out of sorts. A feeling, not too long ago, was something I felt very strongly too.. I knew this mission was mine..
So we had been in contact as often as possible and today we met..It was rather delightful. 3 South Africans at the same table, speaking NORMAL english and enjoying normal light hearted conversation was great. Whenever you are in the company of other foreigners, you always appreciate th english conversation. Just being able to speak at normal Western pace and not having to seak super slow just so the other person can understand your every word..something that you have to do whilst in a foreign place...
We met for typical and traditional Korean BBQ. This is the very reason why they are so bloody thin..No potatoe salad, cloeslaw with mayo etc..Just meat, veg (raw usually), and not even a plate to eat it with. The meat gets BBQ'd on the table in front of you, then you add your SIDES, and it is wrapped in lettuce or other different leaves and rolled like a wrap and eaten..We had duck today, something that I love and might I just add, I think it was the BEST duck I have ever had the pleasure of eating :-)
As time passes, I find more and more reasons to love this country. Ok well I think thats me pushing it, not LOVE, like is more appropriate...
Im so greatful for this experience, even though its still pretty early, at only a month here, I can tell that this experience will teach me alot about myself and will help me grow in more ways than one..
I look forward to what the next 11 months has in store for me..All I can say is that, with great friends and me appreciating my job and loving my students more and more each day, IM ready to face the challenge.



1 comment:

  1. wow. this looks so scrumptous cass. btw, have you mastered the art of chop sticks as yet?

    love u, justin

    ReplyDelete