Monday, August 3, 2009

Finally..The start of the long awaited journey....

Where Do I even begin..Lets start with the horrid first. Whilst I was back in South Africa, I kept reading blogs and facebook statuses about how disgusting some Korean people can be when it comes to certain PERSONAL HYGIENE issues, but yet again I just brushed it off and hoped for the best. Well little did I know.. It always amazes me how filthy and sickening some people, but let me just say I think some of the Korean men take the cake. You’d be standing right next to them or in front of them or alongside them, and right in front of everyone, not even discreetly, they make these weird noises and spit. And when I say spit, I mean it. I cant even bring myself to write about it.

When I eventually cleared through customs etc, I went to meet my driver, who I thought would be driving me to school, but instead he made me buy a bus ticket and put me on a bus to Guri City. He liaised with driver and told me that when I get off at my stop, someone from the school would be waiting for me. After flying almost 23 hours(with the time change), I had to take another 90minute bus ride. Eventually once I got off, the school secretary got us a cab and in a few minutes we arrived at the school.
I was dog tired at that stage so I prayed that the principal would just introduce herself to me and to the other teachers and thereafter be taken to my apartment. Yet again, I was wrong. She made me sit in her office and began to explain how things work. Then she introduced me to the kids. I was quite surprised that the 1st thing they asked me was my age. Their aged between 8 to 15 years so they do have a basic knowledge of English, which helps. When I got back to her office, she told me I should try out my skills and teach a 30 minute lesson, very impromptu. I guess she was testing me. Anyway, tired as I was, I just smiled and did the best I could, She was very happy about it and not long after that, at about 8 20pm, she took me to my new home...
I am keeping the apartment story and pictures for my next blog post. Stay tuned...

6 comments:

  1. hey cass

    seem like you having a ball there up in south korea..

    everything seems well there, you will have some doubts about your choice, but just pray and commit

    i no you will do great in all your lessons, pray and it will be well

    enjoy it and start getting the torrents for me, we will be changing to broadband soon!!

    love you lots

    justin

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey cass,
    keep up the stories
    Col

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi there, guess u already forget me but anyway jus wanna let u know that i am still praying for u and already missing u. take care & hope all is well. lotsa luv shantal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cass, just pray that all will be well.
    Love Mum & dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi cass
    You will be fine, take it easy.
    ma & pa

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I recall, Jonah had similar issues with going to Ninevah. Good for you for not fleeing to Tarshish! ;-)

    If anyone was cut out to survive the hard testing you describe here -- and with a sunny demeanor -- it would be you. Keep running the race!

    ReplyDelete